This week’s mixtape guest is Otik. Over the last decade, Otik has released multiple records on labels such as Aus Music, Future Classic and Keysound Recordings, as well as having remixed the likes of Flume, Louf and Metronomy. We’re excited to have him join us at Drumsheds later this year, but first, we caught up with Otik to learn more about the mix and what he’s been up to.
I’ve been prepping a big musical project that I’ve been working on for a number of years. It’s something very personal to me so I’m excited but also quite anxious to set it free. As well as this I just got back from Prague this week after playing Lunchmeat Festival; a super immersive and eclectic event held at the national gallery with some amazing live A/V sets and DJs. I had a great time and caught some seriously good performances. Meuko Meuko and Voices From The Lake were some highlights for sure. I also recently started teaching 8-13 year olds music tech at some local schools which has been so fun, challenging and rewarding. It’s so great to have a hand in inspiring kids of that age to get into producing as I never had access to this kind of learning when I was that young.
The mix was recorded at my home in East London using my very limited home Serato set up. It can sometimes be jarring as the tech is so old and a bit flimsy but feels extra satisfying once I get the recording right.
The idea behind the mix was to sort of display a collage of all the different types of music that inspire me as a DJ and producer. The genres seem to go all over the place, but I made a conscious effort to run a thread through all of the tracks to make it sound as seamless as possible.
Next I’ll be playing a string of UK shows this month, as well as finally releasing the project I mentioned earlier. I also have a handful of shows in December that I’m so excited for, including the Bicep Curate The Hydra event at Drumsheds that you guys were kind enough to make me a part of, and a large festival in India which will be my first time in the country. Both shows have seriously amazing line ups and I’m so grateful to be a part of them.
1. Villager – Floating (Unreleased)
2. Yaw Evans – N109
3. Andert Tysma – Children of Trinoom (Otik Edit) (Unreleased)
4. Dwells – Take Off Everything (Nimino Remix)
5. Big Ever – Hollywood
6. The Beat Usagi – Day Dreaming
7. Overmono – Blow Out
8. Sylvere – Ah Oui Ah Oui
9. Chief Keef – Citgo x Ninos (Cellvl ‘Bubble’ Blend)
10. Sewerslvt – Lexapro Delirium
11. Nathan Fake – Degreelessness (Overmono Remix)
12. X Club – Exertion
13. Tom VR – Heart Can Still Somersault (Forthcoming)
14. Otik – Sometimes The Nights Last For Months
15. Barker – Birmingham Screwdriver
16. Burna – Vai
17. Loraine James – Glitch The System
18. Yung Lain – Head Full
19. Otik – Cosmosis (Forthcoming)
20. Onoe Caponoe – Milkyway 1311 (Djrum Remix)
21. Yung Lain – Brainworms (feat. Telkin)