For this week’s episode of the FMB Mixtape Series, we welcome Aldonna, the Melbourne-based DJ & producer. As always we asked what she’s been up to recently and to tell us about the mix…
Well for the last 6-7 months , Melbourne, the city I live in has been in a pretty hard lockdown. There has been no live music events for the duration of this lockdown which has been really disheartening, but I tried to make the most of all of this free time I had. I’ve been working on a debut EP which I’m so happy to say is finally finished! I’ve also been doing lots of digging for new music to add to my collection, which has been keeping me inspired and optimistic for when things open up again. Aside from music I’ve been getting really into my exercise , probably feeling the fittest I’ve ever felt at the moment, it’s been great for my mental clarity throughout this time. Cooking and baking has also been my biggest lockdown coping mechanism for sure. Making lots of yummy vegan treats is incredibly therapeutic.
This mix was recorded at home, on a Pioneer XDJXR2.
The thing that I have probably been missing the most throughout this pandemic has been open air camping festivals, or as we like to call them here in Australia “Bush Doofs”. It’s been a long 2 years without them, and my body and soul is craving a solid 4 day boogie with friends. When I made this mix I wanted it to be an uplifting euphoric affair. Something that you’d hear just as you were finding all of your friends again at the stage, with the sun slowly setting, rearing into the mischievous night ahead. It’s a bit of a journey that takes you from day to night with many peaks and valleys. I also wanted to showcase my love affair with the old school, as well as still incorporate some new sounds that I’m really digging at the moment.
Hopefully with the end of lockdown nearing, a busy summer of gigs which I am so excited for. I can’t wait to be able to test out some music that I’ve been working on, hear it on a proper sound system, and feel the crowds energy again! I also began a music production course at the beginning of the year which was put on hold because of lockdown, so i am very keen to get right back into that and continue to develop my skills further in this area.
- Embracing The Sunshine (Embracing The Future Mix)– BT
- So Smooth (Original Mix) – Joe Smooth
- Schmoo – Spooky
- Transorbital Express – Jad & The
- The Party (Original Mix) – Black Traxx
- Ethnic Prayer (Mix 1) – Havana
- Flight DH 2126 – The Wavecatcher
- Hold Tight – Bow-Bellow
- Dance (Original Mix) – Nice Girl
- Groovy Beat (The From Within Mix) – D.O.P
- N-Joy (Original Mix) Mellow Tracks
- Big Bark Manifesto (Original Mix) – Eden Burns
- Funny Walker (Da Techno Bohemian Mix) – The Difference
- Feel Free (Radio Edit) – Chapter 9
- Never Enough – Love Foundation
- Sexy Lady (Club Mix) – Team Deep
- The Gonzo (Original Mix) – Lost
- Sun Express (Emergency Mix) – Fantastic Man
- Unreleased – Aldonna
- Never Enough (Dub) (Dj Jean & Peran Mix) – Dj Ton T.B
- Existential Crisis (Original Mix) – Furious Frank
- Dancing Sparks (Original Mix) – A Jolly Good Fellow
- Planet of Dreams (Kinky Toys Mix) – Ceremony X